Friday, April 4, 2008

It's a blog

It seems like everywhere you go these days, everyone has a blog.

So here goes, my first blog.

There's no rhyme or reason to why - just random thoughts in an everyday life.

Here's something to think about... next time you are in a metro area (especially if you happen to be in New York City) listen to the snippets of conversations you happen to pass. It's an interesting thing to do while people watching. If you are a stand up comic, this is a great way to get new material. If you are a normal person, like the rest of us, it's a way to be entertained while trying to reach wherever it is that you are going.

I did this while in NYC, and it was fascinating to hear what all I encountered in a day. There was one gentleman who was carrying on two conversations at once - with two different phones to his ears. All while walking down the street. I guess that's really multi-tasking.

Another woman I overheard was yelling at someone on the other end of the phone - not sure who she was yelling at or any of the details, but I was glad I wasn't the one on the other end.

Most things overheard were just everyday conversations - nothing earth shattering. But it did make me more aware of what I say and where I say it. Which brings to mind the rule that my parents taught me and I am trying to teach my daughter - if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

What would this world be like if we only said nice things to people? Those we don't know and especially those we do. Try it. Go through one day only saying nice things, and see how it makes you feel. Happy Friday.

No comments: