Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What did you want to be?

When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? Did you have great aspirations to be an astronaut? Or perhaps you wanted to be a doctor, or lawyer, or a fortune 500 CEO? Looking back I can't really say what I wanted to be. For a while I thought it would be cool to be a flight attendant. My dad traveled a lot and that seemed like it would be fun to travel and get paid for it too. But then that idea faded away and really I don't remember what else I wanted to do.

I started college right out of high school, majoring in communications. And after spending a semester goofing off and not really doing a lot in the way of school work, I realized I wasn't ready for that yet. So instead, I quit school for a couple of years and just worked. During that time I met some cool people and a lot of weird people. Because of that, when I decided to go back to school, I choose psychology as my major. I wanted to figure people out. Yeah, that lasted a couple of years and I realized again, nope that's not what I want to do either.

So another change of schools, another change of major and I wound up in what at the time was called either communication arts or music/video business. It was a new program (only 4 students in my class by the time graduation rolled around), and they had no idea what to call it. But it was an all encompassing 2 year program teaching all you wanted to know about the music business, video production and film industry. We had marketing classes, a law class, photography, video, audio, film, business, and lighting classes. Here I finally found my passion. Then I graduated. And what did I do. I went to work in a restaurant. It was only for about 6 months, until I finally did get a job at a television station as a camera operator. Finally I was working in the industry - using my degree. Long story short, it lasted about three years. The minimal pay and the long commute finally did me in. The experience I gained there was tremendous. Unfortunately, it would be another 10 years before I would be able to put that experience to use again.

Fast forward another 5 years and finally, FINALLY, I am back doing what I love and using what I learned so many years ago. It's not production this time around, it's more the business end of it all. But I am having a blast! And as things develop I will be sure to share more here. Exciting times are yet to come.

So what did you want to be when you grew up? Are you doing what you love? I'd love to hear.

3 comments:

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Hi Michelle! I found my blog roll! Yeah. I've missed you:-)

I wanted to be a dancer and an artist. I am an artist and try to dance. So I guess I did okay.

~suzanne said...

Hi Michelle-
It was so great to meet you at the party on Saturday! My blog (the one I was too shy to share in the linkup) is www.slowlife-fastlane.blogspot.com and my twitter name is soozieque. I hope to keep in touch.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a psychologist. I'm an accountant, but my psych degree comes in handy every day.

Abigail said...

I wanted to be an eye doctor. I learned everything about the eye, even put together eye models for fun. Then I had a problem with my eye and getting it fixed was horrible. Now I can't stand touching eyes and seeing people touch eyes. So I figured that career was out, and I'm an insurance agent. So it's not even close.