Thursday, September 4, 2008

Technology... Ain't it grand

How dependent are you on technology? Do you know? Do you Facebook? MySpace? YouTube? Twitter? How often?

I realize you are reading this blog on a computer, so there is that. But what about cell phones, iPods, video games, book readers, televisions (cable and satellite tv too), dvr's, the list could go on.

I admit, it a guilty of being a technology junkie. When my husband and I got married, 18 1/2 years ago, he built our first computer - a 286 with 2 megabytes of RAM and are you ready for this, a 40 megabyte hard drive. I won't even tell you how much it cost, except to say you could go on a nice vacation for what it was. But today, that computer is obsolete. Now I have an iMac, just about a year old, and I love it. And probably in another year or two from now, it will be old news too.

My latest thing that I'm looking at... the Flip video camera. I saw a video created with this and thought "Wow! That's so cool. And tiny too. Pretty amazing quality for something so small." - Now I come from a video production background (went to school for it and actually worked at a tv station for some years) and still do some editing and other production work. And I'm thinking of all the cool things I could do with this new little toy. And then I thought, okay, but will I really use it long term? Or do I want it just because it's the newest thing.

So what does that say about us? About our society? We have become a gotta have it, instant pudding, microwave society who can't wait any longer. Our attention span seems to be that of a gnat. We have 24 hour weather channels and news channels, we have text, voice mails and e-mails. Have we lost the human connection? How long can we live in this bubble?

I don't have the answers to these questions, and I put it out there for you to think about. In the mean time I'm going to go watch the speeches that I recorded last night on the dvr, because it was just too late for me to stay up. Yeah, technology. Ain't it grand.

No comments: